Definition of nightcap in English:
1 historical A cap worn in bed.
- If I could get away with wearing a hat, I would (I've often joked with my wife that there is a vast untapped market for authentic nightcaps in this country).
- Scrooge sits before the fire in his dressing gown and nightcap thinking of the way that the doorknocker changed form.
- By now, he was used to waking up in the middle of the night; attire mussed and nightcap askew, and scurrying to open the door for His Grace's wide circle of friends.
2An alcoholic or hot drink taken at the end of the day or before going to bed.
- Many people who suffer from insomnia try to solve the problem with alcohol - the so-called nightcap.
- The lavish event was then rounded off nicely with quiet Tequila and Jagermeister nightcaps and jovial banter amongst the attendees.
- And so, warm bellied, we repaired to our room to watch telly, read, write and have a vodka nightcap before sleep.
3 Baseball The second game of a doubleheader: he pitched a four-hit shutout in the nightcap
More example sentences
- In the nightcap of the doubleheader, he hit a ninth inning homer off Hoyt Wilhelm to assure the Yankees of a 1-0 win.
- The A's won the nightcap of this landmark doubleheader, 5-2.
- If the Red Sox miss the playoffs by a game, they'll be haunted by the nightcap of Tuesday's doubleheader, when Toronto rallied from a pair of three-run deficits to beat Curt Schilling.
Words that rhyme with nightcapwhitecap
Definition of nightcap in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia