Definition of nilgai in English:
A large Indian antelope, the male of which has a blue-gray coat and short horns, and the female a tawny coat and no horns.
- Boselaphus tragocamelus, family Bovidae
- Mills has culled a great deal of data to show which ungulates form its preferred diet - chital, sambar, nilgai and barasingha, and in some forests, gaur.
- Sadly, most of the large animals reported from the Ridge in the 1920s and 1930s have gone including leopard, wild boar, wolf, blackbuck, and most of the nilgais.
- We also spotted the nilgai, the sambur, the wild boar and even a hare.
Late 18th century: from Hindi nīlgāī, from nīl 'blue' + gāī 'cow'.
Definition of nilgai in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.