noun (plural same or niseis)North American
- A person born in the US or Canada whose parents were immigrants from Japan. Compare with issei and sansei.More example sentences
- Besides the chief instructor, most of the senior students were nisei or sansei and several of them had moved to California from Hawaii where they had earlier begun their aikido training.
- Her mom's father was a U.S. Navy officer on a destroyer en route to invade Kyushu; her father's dad was a nisei returned to Japan to avoid a U.S. internment camp, an engineer working in a factory near Hiroshima at the time of the fatal drop.
- I joined that group shortly thereafter and it was there I met Isao Takahashi Sensei, a middle-aged nisei Hawaiian who spoke English with an accent having lived in Japan as a boy.
1940s: from Japanese, literally 'second generation'.
More definitions of niseiDefinition of nisei in:
- The British & World English dictionary