- A colorless or pale yellow liquid acid that is corrosive and poisonous and has strong oxidizing properties, made in the laboratory by distilling nitrates with sulfuric acid.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HNO3
- Oxidizing acids such as nitric acid or strong sulphuric acid cannot be handled with copper alloys.
- Ether can be oxidized by nitric acid to produce ethanoic acid.
- In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.
late 18th century: from French acide nitrique.
More definitions of nitric acidDefinition of nitric acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary