- A colorless toxic gas formed in many reactions in which nitric acid is reduced, as in reaction with copper. It reacts immediately with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NO. Also called nitrogen monoxide
- In these reactions the ozone reacts with nitric oxide to produce nitrogen dioxide.
- Both nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide can be toxic at higher concentrations.
- He isolated around twenty different airs, including hydrogen chloride, nitric oxide, and ammonia.
More definitions of nitric oxideDefinition of nitric oxide in:
- The British & World English dictionary