A yellow oily liquid made by nitrating benzene, used in chemical synthesis.
- Chemical formula: C6H5NO2
More example sentences
- When nitrobenzene is nitrated with nitric and sulfuric acids, for example, 93 percent of the substituted groups end up at meta positions.
- Aniline is manufactured by reduction of nitrobenzene, using hydrogen gas and a copper catalyst, or using iron, water, and hydrochloric acid for the reduction.
- Benzene and nitrobenzene are heavier than water and they are settling on the river bottom or sticking to the ice.
Definition of nitrobenzene in:
- The British & World English dictionary