- The chemical element of atomic number 7, a colorless, odorless unreactive gas that forms about 78 percent of the earth’s atmosphere. Liquid nitrogen (made by distilling liquid air) boils at 77.4 kelvins (195.8°C) and is used as a coolant. (Symbol: N)More example sentences
- Plant tissue was ground in liquid nitrogen and the protein extracted as described earlier.
- The data demonstrate that nitrogen and phosphorus are in especially short supply.
- This may be due to the different functions of nitrogen and phosphorus in the plant.
More definitions of nitrogenDefinition of nitrogen in:
- The British & World English dictionary