An explosive yellow liquid made by nitrating glycerol, used in explosives such as dynamite. It is also used in medicine as a vasodilator in the treatment of angina pectoris.
- Alternative name: glyceryl trinitrate; chemical formula: CH2(NO3)CH(NO3)CH2(NO3)
More example sentences
- When glycerol is treated with a mixture of sulfuric and nitric acid, a yellow oily liquid nitroglycerin is formed.
- Because it's difficult to grow blood vessels in the laboratory, investigators have struggled to identify the molecules that convert nitroglycerin into nitric oxide.
- Thus, organic nitrates such as glyceryl trinitrate may be viewed as prodrugs of endogenous nitric oxide.
Definition of nitroglycerin in:
- The British & World English dictionary