- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a region of perpetual snow.More example sentences
- Rivers of the Mackenzie Basin exhibit several seasonal flow patterns that include the nival (snowmelt dominated), proglacial (influenced by glacier melt), wetland, prolacustrine (below large lakes), and regulated flow regimes.
- The nival regime is modified where additional sources of water supply or significant storage mechanisms alter the streamflow pattern.
- The prolacustrine regime provides a strong contrast to the nival pattern, in that large lake storage strongly attenuates high flows and maintains steady runoff during the winter.
mid 17th century: from Latin nivalis, from nix, niv- 'snow'.
More definitions of nivalDefinition of nival in:
- The British & World English dictionary