A gray mold that is deliberately cultivated on grapes to enhance the making of certain sweet wines.
- The fungus is Botrytis cinerea, subdivision Deuteromycotina
More example sentences
- Wines labelled as Sélection des Grains Nobles, however, nearly always contain a proportion of grapes affected by botrytis, or noble rot.
- The most important Hungarian wine region is Tokaji, the oldest sweet wine from noble rot in the world.
- Her ‘Botrytis’ is for Sauternes-ophiles who love the noble rot.
1930s: translation of French pourriture noble.
Definition of noble rot in:
- The British & World English dictionary