noun (plural noctilucae /-ˈlo͞oˌsē/)
- A roughly spherical marine dinoflagellate that is strongly phosphorescent, especially when disturbed.
More example sentences
- Genus Noctiluca, division (or phylum) Dinophyta
- Noctiluca is not photosynthetic.
- Noctiluca are motionless as the flagellum is unable to propel their body through the water: the only movement is found in rotation of vertical position via control of buoyancy in the cell.
modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'night light, lantern'.
More definitions of noctilucaDefinition of noctiluca in:
- The British & World English dictionary