Definition of noctule in English:
A large golden-brown bat native to Eurasia and North Africa with long slender wings, rounded ears, and a short muzzle.
- Nyctalus noctula, family Vespertilionidae
- In addition, the wings of the greater noctule - designed for speed - lack the maneuverability that would be required for hunting a bird in a confined nesting space.
- All free-tailed bats and two noctules reluctant to feed by themselves had to be fed by hand.
- In another European species, the noctule bat, no genetic evidence was found that could be interpreted as directional colonization and glacial-induced bottlenecks.
Late 18th century: from French, from Italian nottola 'bat', literally 'small night creature'.
Words that rhyme with noctulefloccule • opuscule
Definition of noctule in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.