Definition of noisy in English:
adjective (noisier, noisiest)
1Making or given to making a lot of noise: a noisy, giggling group of children diesel cars can be very noisy
More example sentences
- It is very obvious from the many letters to these pages, and from the escalating number of complaints to the authorities, that noise and noisy neighbours are a major cause of distress.
- It may not necessarily be the vehicle itself that is noisy; maybe the noise is from the tyres, the stereo, or whatever.
- There are a few points in our songs were we do get loud/noisy, but we do it in a dynamic way… we are very big on our dynamics.
chattering, talkative, vociferous, shouting, screaming
loud, fortissimo, blaring, booming, overloud, deafening, thunderous, tumultuous, clamorous, ear-splitting, piercing, strident, cacophonous, raucous
1.1Full of or characterized by noise: noisy scenes outside the court building the bar was crowded and noisy
More example sentences
- Really, the older I get, the less I like noisy smoky bars full of stupid drunk people.
- The room was bright and noisy, full of women talking excitedly.
- The road outside was busy and noisy - a source of dust and petrol fumes.
1.2(Of a person or group of people) stridently seeking to attract attention to their views.
- It has attracted some powerful and noisy exponents.
- Its noisy antics to pressure companies into making changes may not be to everyone's taste but at least it has swung the balance back in favour of the shareholder.
- Selective support for some of the projects is attracting no comment from the ever noisy and vigilant environment lobby, feeding the theory that a land grab for pals is the motive.
2 technical Accompanied by or introducing random fluctuations that obscure the real signal or data.
- Although TV snow obscures the main picture, a noisy signal can sometimes improve visual perception.
- Integrating the noisy velocity signal gave a noisy displacement signal that was not useful.
- Like many other researchers, we found the large and noisy background signal from tungsten to be a problem.
- Example sentences
- The venue's sound system did them justice and really showcased the noisiness, the melodic nuances and the vocals.
- Indeed, solutions like the muffler to deal with the noisiness of early automobiles inspired confidence.
- Whilst he wasn't the worst father in the world and paid the children a bit of attention he preferred the peace and quiet of our dining room to the noisiness of four children eating.
Words that rhyme with noisyBoise
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.