1.1 Mathematics Designating or involving an equation whose terms are not of the first degree.
- Norman decided to shift his field from gap and density theorems to non-linear differential equations, both ordinary and partial.
- The non-linear differential equation describing the growth of a biological population which he deduced and studied is now named after him.
- It was then that he became aware of the mysteries underlying the subject of non-linear partial differential equations.
1.2 Physics Involving a lack of linearity between two related qualities such as input and output.
- If matter is present where the photons cross, non-linear effects caused by accelerated electric charges may allow the photons to interact.
- Other non-linear factors also contribute to increase the resulting gain disparity between wavelengths.
- It will build on Hull's existing expertise in linear and non-linear acoustical properties of materials, aspects of outdoor acoustics and in silencer design and combustion noise.
1.3 Mathematics Involving measurement in more than one dimension.
1.4Not linear, sequential, or straightforward; random: Joyce’s stream-of-consciousness, nonlinear narrative
More example sentences
- Unfortunately, the film itself was a bit slow-paced and difficult to follow, with a non-linear narrative structure.
- Will UK readers cope with the experimental, non-linear narrative structure?
- Sometimes these are the visual equivalent of a non-linear narrative.
2Of or denoting digital editing whereby a sequence of edits is stored on computer as opposed to videotape, thus facilitating further editing.
- And you will need a three machine edit suite or a non-linear computer editing system to achieve this.
- The videotapes were digitized, and processed through a computer based non-linear video editing system.
- For editing non-linear computer editing is the only way to go.
- informal Become excited or angry, especially about a particular obsession.
- Example sentences
- The idea of the loop brings to mind repetition, non-linearity and circular motion.
- Yet true to chaos theory, the appearance of non-linearity does not necessarily imply a lack of coherent structures.
- She gives her narrative an ending, but uses the text to explore ideas of movement, transformation and non-linearity.
- Example sentences
- The energy matrix that binds her cells together responds non-linearly to force.
- Its main construct is that each panel portrays the exact same location and space at different, marked times, non-linearly.
- As the number and types of storage devices continue to proliferate, the complexity of managing storage grows non-linearly.
Definition of nonlinear in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.