Definition of nonmetal in English:
An element or substance that is not a metal.
- Chemically, elements can be classified as metals, metalloids, or non-metals based, in part, upon these physical properties.
- Ionic bonds are most often formed between atoms of metals and atoms of non-metals.
- As a rough rule of thumb, metals are non-molecular, like iron, whereas non-metals are molecular.
- Example sentences
- Reactions of non-metallic elements to form covalent compounds are atom transfer reactions.
- The term is also sometimes used for compounds in which a nitrogen or other non-metallic atom of an organic group is directly bonded to a lithium atom.
- Carbon is by no means unique in this regard as most of the non-metallic elements are capable of forming chains.
Definition of nonmetal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan