- 1(Especially of computer hardware or software) conforming to standards that are in the public domain or are widely licensed, and so not restricted to one manufacturer.More example sentences
- It is a widely supported, non-proprietary standard, and there is plenty of software available.
- The following disadvantages might provide reasons for using alternative or non-proprietary software for future projects.
- It is also based on non-proprietary standards and open source software.
- 1.1Not registered or protected as a trademark or brand name; generic.More example sentences
- This is its ‘generic’, i.e. non-proprietary, name.
- But it is a good MP3 player, and more importantly it's a non-proprietary, non-copyright enforcing, song-organising MP3 player.
More definitions of nonproprietaryDefinition of nonproprietary in:
- The British & World English dictionary