Definition of nonspeaking in English:
1(Of a role or part) not requiring the actor to speak.
- Pylades is (rather awkwardly) written as a nonspeaking part, and the two silent members of the three-woman Chorus are no little girls, and quite marginal besides.
- It is, to be sure, hard to convey the Cultural Revolution with only three speaking parts and one nonspeaking one.
- Her version of the production, partly hindered by the absence of the requisite two-tiered set and by her cutting down the nonspeaking roles from six to four, lacks some much-needed bite.
1.1Unable or unwilling to speak: the equipment will make an amazing difference to nonspeaking children at the school
More example sentences
- In studying communication-related responses among nonspeaking patients treated with mechanical ventilation, Menzel found that patients had greatest difficulty in communicating with their family members.
- Therefore, our data most likely underrepresent the communication abilities and communication interactions of nonspeaking seriously ill adults.
- We present the results of a pilot study to describe the communication abilities, methods, and content among nonspeaking nonsurviving patients who received mechanical ventilation in an ICU.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan