Definition of nonstarter in English:
1A person or animal that fails to take part in a race.
- The plane was actually built in 1932 and appeared at the Cleveland races that year but was a non-starter.
- McRae's younger brother, Alister, was a non-starter in the rally as he is still recovering from his own mountain-bike accident, which forced him out of San Remo and caused him to withdraw from the New Zealand event as well.
1.1 informal A person, plan, or idea that has no chance of succeeding or being effective.
- The ‘secret location’ plan is clearly a non-starter and should be ditched immediately.
- However, in effect this remained a non-starter.
- I regard the application under Order 12 rule 8 effectively as a non-starter.
Definition of nonstarter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan