1A loop with a running knot, tightening as the rope or wire is pulled and typically used to hang people or trap animals.
- Its gnarled branches twisted and turned into the air, and a hangman's noose hung from one of its thickest and strongest branches.
- But hanging from a beam in the center of a room typically reserved for celebrations and weddings is a crude, handmade noose fashioned out of three electrical wires.
- Members of the study population were captured by placing a soft elastic noose around the perimeter of an active burrow entrance.
1.1 (the noose) Death by hanging.
- My dreams for the future have now atrophied to simply ‘keeping the noose at bay.’
- Yet he is one of the three still facing the noose.
- One might have expected criminals awaiting trial to have been especially defensive, doing their best to avoid the noose by shifting blame elsewhere.
1.1Catch (an animal) with a noose.
- Pitfall traps were placed opportunistically next to logs to supplement noosing and remained there for the entire study.
- Individuals were noosed, measured, weighed, and marked with synthetic paint to ease observation.
Words that rhyme with nooseabstruse, abuse, adduce, Ballets Russes, Belarus, Bruce, burnous, caboose, charlotte russe, conduce, deduce, deuce, diffuse, douce, educe, excuse, goose, induce, introduce, juice, Larousse, loose, luce, misuse, moose, mousse, obtuse, Palouse, produce, profuse, puce, recluse, reduce, Rousse, seduce, sluice, Sousse, spruce, traduce, truce, use, vamoose, Zeus
Definition of noose in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.