Definition of nopal in English:
noun (plural nopales-ˈpäles)
1A cactus that is a major food plant of the bugs from which cochineal is obtained.
- Genus Nopalea, family Cactaceae: several species, in particular N. cochinellifera
- The Aztecs cultivated cochineal, a tiny insect that lived on the native nopal cactus and produced a red dye that was the brightest and strongest color Europe had ever seen.
- Cochineal - a red dye made from insects harvested from the nopal cactus - was the most lucrative export item after silver that Spain extracted from Mexico during the colonial period.
1.1 (nopales) The edible fleshy pads of the nopal cactus, used as a staple in Mexican cuisine.
- The plant produces flat, round pads (sometimes called nopales or nopalitos), which in some locales are sold in grocery stores for consumption.
- Canned nopales (plain, or in brine or a vinegar pickle) are available.
- There are stacks of mangoes and piles of nopales, baskets of dried chiles and vats of mole paste.
Words that rhyme with nopalConstantinople, copal, opal, Opel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan