1Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected: it’s quite normal for puppies to bolt their food normal working hours
More example sentences
- The news was on a repeat schedule at this hour since it was normal for them to repeat the news at night.
- Under normal circumstances you would expect the latter to have a much lower price tag.
- The queue of traffic had stopped again after moving a few meters, a pace which seemed about normal for the rush hour in the middle of York on a Wednesday morning.
typical, stock, common, everyday, regular, routine, established, set, fixed, traditional, time-honored
ordinary, average, typical, run-of-the-mill, middle-of-the-road, common, conventional, mainstream, unremarkable, unexceptional, garden-variety, a dime a dozen
1.1(Of a person) free from physical or mental disorders.
- In some cases, children with dominant single gene disorders are born to normal parents.
- He's just a normal person that probably has a few mental issues he needs to deal with.
- Take advantage of this quiet mental time to see how normal people live.
2 technical (Of a line, ray, or other linear feature) intersecting a given line or surface at right angles.
- Unless the radar signal is normal to some surface (extremely low probability) the radar receives no return.
- In physics, the critical angle is described with respect to the normal line.
- The hard perturbations in this study caused the trajectory to move in a direction that was normal to the limit cycle.
3 Medicine (Of a salt solution) containing the same salt concentration as the blood.
- Therefore, 1L of normal saline should be given per hour to start.
- An infusion of IV normal saline frequently corrects hypotension and increases cardiac output.
- The probe was rinsed with sterile normal saline between measurements of each raft.
4 Geology Denoting a fault or faulting in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata situated on the upper side of the fault plane.
- As much as 1.3 km of sediment were eroded on the footwall blocks of normal faults at that time.
- In addition, large-scale isoclinal folds and normal faults with throws exceeding 10m locally occur.
- Massive dolomite and dolomitic breccias are separated by a normal fault from the upper part of the sequence.
nounBack to top
1The usual, average, or typical state or condition: her temperature was above normal the service will be back to normal next week
More example sentences
- Things have reverted pretty much back to normal, or whatever normal means when Lindsey and I are involved.
- He was back to normal, well normal for him, but definitely strange to most people.
- Everything is now back to normal and the game continues every Wednesday night.
1.1 informal A person who is conventional or healthy .
- As Modes had promised beforehand, the march ended with the clowns piling into three small cars and driving off, ‘leaving the normals confused and frightened.’
- ‘Ah, but if Mutants are perfectly capable of living with normals,’ she observes, ‘why are they exiled from the rest of us?’
- Also, let us not forget that the military institution provides us with a means to segregate the less desirable members of society from the rest of us normals.
2 technical A line at right angles to a given line or surface.
- Since normals to a straight line never intersect and tangents coincide with the curve, evolutes, involutes and pedal curves are not too interesting.
- It deals with normals to conics regarded as maximum and minimum straight lines drawn from particular points to the curve.
- Since these forces are strongest for orientation of the surface normal perpendicular to the rotation axis, this may cause a slight preference for alignment of the bilayer normals perpendicular to the rotor axis.
the new normal
- A previously unfamiliar or atypical situation that has become standard, usual, or expected: 32% of Americans say spending less is the new normal, according to a recent pollMore example sentences
- Is $3 gas the new normal?
- The term 'extreme weather' has become the new normal.
- Crisis has become the new normal for the nuclear medicine department at the Trois-Rivieres regional hospital, he said.
Words that rhyme with normalabnormal, conformal, formal, paranormal, subnormal
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan