Definition of normalize in English:
1 [with object] Bring or return to a normal condition or state: he wants to begin negotiations to normalize relations [no object]: the situation had normalized
More example sentences
- The talks were originally meant to focus on normalizing diplomatic relations which would bring Japanese economic aid to North Korea.
- Between 1988 and 1994, China normalized or established diplomatic relations with 18 countries, as well as with the Soviet successor states.
- The adverse balance has persisted since 1965, when the two countries normalized their diplomatic relations.
2 [with object] Mathematics Multiply (a series, function, or item of data) by a factor that makes the norm or some associated quantity such as an integral equal to a desired value (usually 1).
- For this analysis, all residual values were normalized according to the square-root of the line scan intensity and plotted as a function of distance from the nearest Z line.
- Following convention, quantity terms were normalized using the data means to have mean values of one.
- Areas under spectral curves were first normalized to the same value before curves were subtracted.
- Example sentences
- This normalization is institutionalized by different public and private US agencies.
- I have database design exam this Friday and I as yet don't know what normalization is, or rather how to do it.
- Thirty years have passed since the normalization of relations between China and Japan.
Pronunciation: /ˌnôrmələˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌnôrməˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of normalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan