Definition of normalize in English:
1 [with object] Bring or return to a normal condition or state: he wants to begin negotiations to normalize relations [no object]: the situation had normalized
More example sentences
- The talks were originally meant to focus on normalizing diplomatic relations which would bring Japanese economic aid to North Korea.
- Between 1988 and 1994, China normalized or established diplomatic relations with 18 countries, as well as with the Soviet successor states.
- The adverse balance has persisted since 1965, when the two countries normalized their diplomatic relations.
2 [with object] Mathematics Multiply (a series, function, or item of data) by a factor that makes the norm or some associated quantity such as an integral equal to a desired value (usually 1).
- For this analysis, all residual values were normalized according to the square-root of the line scan intensity and plotted as a function of distance from the nearest Z line.
- Following convention, quantity terms were normalized using the data means to have mean values of one.
- Areas under spectral curves were first normalized to the same value before curves were subtracted.
- Example sentences
- This normalization is institutionalized by different public and private US agencies.
- I have database design exam this Friday and I as yet don't know what normalization is, or rather how to do it.
- Thirty years have passed since the normalization of relations between China and Japan.
Pronunciation: /ˌnôrmələˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌnôrməˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of normalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.