Definition of norovirus in English:
1Any of various single-stranded RNA viruses including the Norwalk virus and closely related viruses.
- Genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae
- Norovirus is the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis in England and Wales.
- O'Connor noted that the norovirus has many different strains, making it difficult for a person to develop long-lasting immunity to the infection.
- We are testing some samples and suspect it is norovirus, we should get lab confirmation early this week.
1.1Gastroenteritis caused by a norovirus: an outbreak of norovirus aboard the ship infected 350 passengers
More example sentences
- We know Norovirus is now quite widespread in the community.
- Winter vomiting disease, or norovirus, is a brief illness, which usually lasts for one to three days.
- The norovirus is highly contagious, affecting up to one million people in the United Kingdom every year.
Early 21st century: from nor- in Norwalk, Ohio (where an outbreak of gastroenteritis occurred from which the virus was isolated) + -o- + virus.
Definition of norovirus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.