Definition of norovirus in English:
1Any of various single-stranded RNA viruses including the Norwalk virus and closely related viruses.
- Genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae
- Nineteen people have submitted stool samples that tested positive for diarrhea-causing agents: Campylobacter (14), norovirus (3), salmonella (1) and Giardia (1).
- "Real difficulties are caused when norovirus is introduced to closed environments such as hospitals, residential homes or schools."
- O'Connor noted that the norovirus has many different strains, making it difficult for a person to develop long-lasting immunity to the infection.
1.1Gastroenteritis caused by a norovirus: an outbreak of norovirus aboard the ship infected 350 passengers
More example sentences
- We know Norovirus is now quite widespread in the community.
- Winter vomiting disease, or norovirus, is a brief illness, which usually lasts for one to three days.
- The norovirus is highly contagious, affecting up to one million people in the United Kingdom every year.
early 21st century: from nor- in Norwalk, Ohio (where an outbreak of gastroenteritis occurred from which the virus was isolated) + -o- + virus.
Definition of norovirus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan