adjective & adverb
- another term for northeast.More example sentences
- The wind is picking up and blowing 15-20 knots north-easterly, which I hope is enough to miss the protruding land mass of Tenerife.
- Saying so assumes that there will be more north-easterly winds.
- The birds, about the same size as a starling and brown with a distinctive head crest, normally travel south for food in winter, but only come to Britain when there are strong north to north-easterly winds.
nounBack to top
- another term for northeaster.More example sentences
- Of course, the excitement is dependent upon the wind and lately it has been shifting between the customary north-easterlies and southerlies.
- That first week in December always heralded in the dry, cooler and stronger north-easterlies, absolutely ideal conditions for yacht racing off Phuket's lovely shore-lines, coasts and surrounding islands.
- The wind is still a little unsettled, with southerly storm fronts altering the patterns but being the end of November, the north-easterlies should be prevailing, making racing ideal.
More definitions of northeasterlyDefinition of northeasterly in:
- The British & World English dictionary