Definition of northeasterly in English:
Another term for northeast.
- The wind is picking up and blowing 15-20 knots north-easterly, which I hope is enough to miss the protruding land mass of Tenerife.
- Saying so assumes that there will be more north-easterly winds.
- The birds, about the same size as a starling and brown with a distinctive head crest, normally travel south for food in winter, but only come to Britain when there are strong north to north-easterly winds.
nounBack to top
another term for northeaster.
- Of course, the excitement is dependent upon the wind and lately it has been shifting between the customary north-easterlies and southerlies.
- That first week in December always heralded in the dry, cooler and stronger north-easterlies, absolutely ideal conditions for yacht racing off Phuket's lovely shore-lines, coasts and surrounding islands.
- The wind is still a little unsettled, with southerly storm fronts altering the patterns but being the end of November, the north-easterlies should be prevailing, making racing ideal.
Definition of northeasterly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan