- An Asian food fish of the carp family that is also a voracious predator. It is able to survive adverse conditions and has been inadvertently released into the wild in the US.
More example sentences
- Channa argus, family Channidae
- Biologists sampling the lake captured more than 100 juvenile northern snakeheads, confirming their worst fears: The air-breathing, land-crawling, voracious predator found in a pond in Crofton, Maryland, is multiplying.
- The good news is that the fish, a northern snakehead that has been targeted by biologists for the last several weeks, was caught.
- Highly predatory, with a saw-toothed grin, the northern snakehead is unique in that it can ‘walk’ on land with its strong pectoral fins and migrate to other waters.