Either of two external openings of the nasal cavity in vertebrates that admit air to the lungs and smells to the olfactory nerves.
More example sentences
- The jelly or nose spray is put just inside your nostril on the septum.
- Plug the other nostril and have the child gently blow through the nostril where the object is stuck.
- A hole is pierced through the skin and cartilage of the nostril.
Old English nosterl, nosthyrl, from nosu 'nose' + thȳr(e)l 'hole'.
- [in combination]More example sentences
- It wast the voice of a snotty-nostrilled child sitting in a pool and putting shellfish in her drawers.
- He was also notorious for a series of political cartoons in which he represented the Communists by a three-nostrilled man.
Definition of nostril in:
- The British & World English dictionary