Definition of novitiate in English:
1The period or state of being a novice, especially in a religious order.
- Even in the golden days of my novitiate, such places were few and far between.
- This ceremony also signaled the beginning of her novitiate - a year-long ‘trial’ period in which she lived among the convent community, observing its rules and strictures.
- The convent countered that those sums had been for the year of her novitiate, but that her formal profession involved a new set of expenses.
1.2A novice, especially in a religious order.
- Now Wats are inhabited by monks, teachers, nuns, novitiates, school children, street-side sellers and tourists.
- Once the ceremony was over, the novitiates, priestesses and nuns gathered together in the great hall beneath the statue of Auset for a feast.
- There are teachers, nuns, novitiates, school children, street vendors and even tourists.