- A period of abnormal cold and darkness predicted to follow a nuclear war, caused by a layer of smoke and dust in the atmosphere blocking the sun’s rays.More example sentences
- As the soot from burning cities and vegetation would result in a nuclear winter following atomic Armageddon, so the billions of tonnes of sulphuric acid in the stratosphere following Toba would mean perpetual darkness and cold for years.
- On the other end of the eschatological scale we find visions of societal breakdown, chaos, nuclear winter and heat death - a spectacle of humanity driven by its own frailties and technological hubris to its ultimate destruction.
- It may not have been exactly amicable, but nor was it exactly the nuclear winter that now exists between the party leadership and FitzGerald.
More definitions of nuclear winterDefinition of nuclear winter in:
- The British & World English dictionary