noun (plural nucleoli /-ˌlī/ /-ˌlē/)Biology
A small dense spherical structure in the nucleus of a cell during interphase.
- Microscopically, large neoplastic lymphoid cells with prominent nucleoli and frequent mitotic figures occlude small vessel lumina.
- As the cells separated their chromosomes, the nucleolus also appeared to segregate asymmetrically between mother and daughter cells, with the majority in the mother.
- The tumor cells were arranged in trabecular and solid patterns with nuclear pleomorphism, prominent nucleoli, and scant basophilic cytoplasm.
- Example sentences
- In addition to nucleolar prominence, multiple nucleoli and nucleolar margination have also been suggested as diagnostic criteria for prostate cancer.
- Active transcription of ribosomal DNA is required in all organisms for both nucleolar formation and ribosome biogenesis.
- The LTR probe uniformly labels the chromosome arms except at the telomeres, nucleolar organizing regions, and centromeres, where the signal is lacking.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of nucleolus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.