- 1Wearing no clothes; naked: a painting of a nude modelMore example sentences
- Thankfully, the nude model managed to find some clothes to wear in later issues!
- Peta is well known for its provocative ad campaigns, which sometimes feature nude models proclaiming they'd rather go naked than wear fur.
- Tricia Stewart was one of the members of Rylstone and District WI who posed nude for a calendar.
- 1.1 [attributive] Depicting or performed by naked people: he was asked to act in a frank nude sceneMore example sentences
- A newly trained sex change artiste has been arrested for performing a nude act on stage at a non family place of entertainment near a main road.
- Of the performers, Eileen Atkins steals the show and gets a nude scene in at just 70 years young.
- The 23-year-old hotel heiress and star of reality TV series The Simple Life wants to be taken seriously as an actress and rules out taking part in nude scenes.
- 1.2(Especially of hosiery) flesh-colored: black shoes with beige or nude stockingsMore example sentences
- The whole film looks like it was shot with a camera covered with nude hosiery.
- Session V / Look 27 / February 1992 shows Bowery in a body suit and mask in the hosiery color known as nude.
- Dark brunettes or brunettes with blue-black bases would look great in the soft, sheer and almost nude pinks.
nounBack to top
- 1A naked human figure, typically as the subject of a painting, sculpture, or photograph: a study of a kneeling nudeMore example sentences
- Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe images are on display, as well as several Picasso nudes and Rodin sculptures, including The Kiss.
- Modigliani's nudes were the subject of his only gallery show during his lifetime and the police shut it down.
- All of Saville's monumental nudes employ photographic precedents, but not in any simple way.
- 1.1Flesh color.More example sentences
- Where can I get men's cotton wifebeaters in beige or nude?
- There is lots of gold, white, beige and nude as well.
in the nude
- In an unclothed state: I like to swim in the nudeMore example sentences
- Pensioner Brian Holmes celebrated his 89th birthday - by going for a swim in the nude.
- During the day, the island is strictly reserved for those who prefer to swim and sunbathe in the nude.
- It is not uncommon to see tourists as well as native-born Jamaicans enjoying the beach in the nude along this seven-mile strip.
late Middle English (in the sense 'plain, explicit'): from Latin nudus. The current sense is first found in noun use in the early 18th century.