A small termite-eating Australian marsupial with a black and white striped back and a bushy tail.
- Myrmecobius fasciatus, family Myrmecobiidae
More example sentences
- I mean, we have an enormous wealth of reptiles, the richest in the world, our insects are amazing, our marsupials, our numbats and our bandicoots and our bilbies - how many people have seen a bilby or know what a bilby is?
- When we started, people didn't know what bilbies and boodies and bettons and numbats were, and now they do.
- The winery has a wetland centre in South Australia where it is also intended to release brush-tailed bettong and numbats later in the year.
early 20th century: from Nyungar.
Definition of numbat in:
- The British & World English dictionary