noun[usually treated as singular]
- The study or collection of coins, paper currency, and medals.More example sentences
- It has four boats and employs 60 divers, whose skills include archaeology, history, epigraphy (the study of inscriptions) and numismatics (the study of coins).
- The numismatics gallery has coins collected from as many as 60 countries.
- Studying Thai numismatics it became apparent that there was a very significant event in Thai coin history in the mid 1800's.
- More example sentences
- The appearance of From Imperium to Auctoritas established Grant's credentials as a Roman numismatist; five more numismatic volumes would follow in the 1950's.
- The Baptist Church minister, Rev T Sorenson, said local numismatists thought the coins were worth up to R10000.
- The collection of coins will no doubt be a great attraction to numismatists, as they include some rare golden specimens from the reigns of George 1,111, and 1V, and there are some scarce silver coins.
Pronunciation: /n(y)o͞oˈmizmətist, -ˈmis-/noun
More definitions of numismaticsDefinition of numismatics in:
- The British & World English dictionary