A shark with barbels on the snout.
- Three species in the family Orectolobidae (or Ginglymostomatidae), in particular Ginglymostoma cirratum, a slow-swimming brownish shark of warm Atlantic waters
More example sentences
- The whale shark, the hammerhead and the nurse shark are impossible to confuse.
- Normally calm species of sharks such as the nurse shark can be provoked to violence if they take a liking to your Starter Jacket.
- Of particular concern is the grey nurse shark, a smaller, less predatory shark living off the coast of New South Wales and Queensland.
mid 19th century: nurse 'dogfish shark', alteration of Middle English nusse, perhaps derived (by wrong division) from an huss (see Huss, John).
Definition of nurse shark in:
- The British & World English dictionary