Definition of nutmeg in English:
1The hard, aromatic, almost spherical seed of a tropical tree.
- Underneath that is a beautiful red, lacy layer of aril - also called mace blades - that cling to the thin, hard shell surrounding the nutmeg.
- The stone is the size of a nutmeg and has a hard, black case, sometimes thick, sometimes thin.
- The nutmeg is the seed of the Indonesian Myristica fragrans whose small yellow flowers develop into a fleshy, scarlet fruit enclosing the meg.
1.1Nutmeg grated and used as a spice.
- In the garden they grew cardamom, turmeric, curry leaves and pepper as well as imported ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, chillies, vanilla, cumin and coriander.
- Four spice is a ground spice mixture usually containing white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon or cloves.
- Modern haggis generally has beef suet rather than mutton fat, and cayenne pepper or nutmeg are usual additions.
2The evergreen tree that bears nutmeg seeds, native to the Moluccas.
- Myristica fragrans, family Myristicaceae
- We emerged into the country to find ourselves amid an open expanse of coconut palms, interspersed with the odd clove and nutmeg tree, banana palm and cinnamon bush.
- This is cardamom country, nutmeg too, where spices grow along the roadside, and where pepper vines wind their tendrils around banana palms and over camellia bushes.
- Nutmeg, another mystical tree from the Spice Islands, gets the oils distilled from the kernels of its fruits - the nutmeg itself.
Words that rhyme with nutmegforeleg • Oleg • bootleg
Definition of nutmeg in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.