Definition of nux vomica in English:
1A spiny southern Asian tree with berrylike fruit and toxic seeds that are a commercial source of strychnine.
- Strychnos nux-vomica, family Loganiaceae
- De Abano in the fourteenth century included mercury, copper, lapis lazuli, arsenic sublimate, litharge, nux vomica, laurel berries, and hellebore in his De Remedis Venenorum.
- Belladonna, sepia and nux vomica are among the most common ingredients.
- The Strychnine tree also known as Nux vomica, is an evergreen tree native to southeast Asia, a member of family Loganiaceae.
1.1A homeopathic preparation of the nux vomica plant used especially for the treatment of symptoms of overeating and overdrinking.
- Homeopathic remedies, including nux vomica, iris, belladona and others seem to help some headache sufferers.
- I also recommend the remedy nux vomica for sickness following surgery.
- A homeopathic remedy for hangovers is the attractively-named nux vomica, which is available in most health food stores.
Definition of nux vomica in:
- British & World English dictionary