Definition of nyala in English:
noun (plural same)
A southern African antelope, with a conspicuous crest on the neck and back and lyre-shaped horns.
- Tragelaphus angasi, family Bovidae
- Other animal species to look out for include impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, cheetah, hyena, jackal and giraffe.
- There are three easy-to-see, endemic, large mammals: the mountain nyala, Ethiopian wolf and gelada baboon.
- Nearby, groups of wildebeest, nyala antelope and zebra milled about their cages and enormous white rhinos rested on their sides in their long pens.
Late 19th century: from Zulu.
Words that rhyme with nyalaCarla, challah, Douala, gala, Guatemala, Gujranwala, impala, kabbala, Kampala, koala, La Scala, Lingala, Mahler, Marsala, masala, parlour (US parlor), Sinhala, snarler, tala, tambala, Uppsala
Definition of nyala in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.