Definition of nystagmus in English:
Rapid involuntary movements of the eyes.
- Potentially serious neurologic disease should be suspected in patients with focal neurologic signs, severe ataxia, nystagmus changing direction, vertical nystagmus and abnormal eye movement.
- Tremor can be found in multiple sclerosis often with slurred speech and jerky eye movements, called nystagmus.
- Albinos regularly turn their heads to the side and roll their eyes in a circular motion in an attempt to find a favourable axis of sight; they suffer from rapid nystagmus, and blink constantly.
early 19th century: from Greek nustagmos 'nodding, drowsiness', from nustazein 'nod, be sleepy'.
- Example sentences
- Failure of adaptation of nystagmic eye movements to occur under certain conditions of stimulation by angular acceleration has been ascribed to a failure to allow the eye-movement response to run its course.
- The invention provides a tinted pair of lenses for overcoming the deleterious effects of nystagmic oscillations, particularly in persons suffering from dyslexia.
- With no attention to individual objects, gaze velocity is low but nystagmic frequency is high (stare nystagmus).
Definition of nystagmus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan