Definition of oak apple in English:
A spongy spherical gall that forms on oak trees in response to the developing larvae of a gall wasp.
- The wasp is Biorhiza pallida (in Europe) or Amphibolips confluenta (in America), family Cynipidae
- Oak apple galls are sometimes mistaken for an actual crop of the tree, such as apples on on apple tree, but are actually deformed leaves.
- An oak apple is also known as an oak gall.
- The so-called oak apple, a round, spongy, fruitlike object about 2.5 to 5 cm (1 to 2 inches) in diameter, is caused by the larvae of the gall wasp Biorhiza pallida.
Definition of oak apple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan