Complying or willing to comply with orders or requests; submissive to another’s will: she was totally obedient to him
More example sentences
- They are expected to be obedient and comply with requests from adults immediately.
- We have been taught to be obedient to authorities and not to think for ourselves much.
- With Mimi he was expected to be neatly groomed, dutiful and obedient.
dutiful, good, law-abiding, deferential, respectful, duteous, well trained, well disciplined, manageable, governable;
your obedient servant
- dated A formula used to end a letter.More example sentences
- It was an age when letters routinely ended with formulae like ‘I beg to remain your obedient servant’ although the writer had no wish to do anything of the kind.
- I have the honour to remain, Ma'am, your obedient servant,
- They all signed off any official communication to any ordinary citizen with, ‘I am your obedient servant.’
- More example sentences
- Although he carried out his orders obediently he never did more than he had been bidden, neither did he indulge in sadistic tortures.
- Here we become a salesman's dream, and obediently buy the model recommended by the bathroom man.
- I obediently went through to my room and sat down on the bed, while Alex closed the door on me.