Definition of obscene in English:
1(Of the portrayal or description of sexual matters) offensive or disgusting by accepted standards of morality and decency: obscene jokes obscene literature
More example sentences
- Mr Danby suggests rules which include deleting mail containing obscene, racist or offensive material.
- Football chants are cruel, obscene, offensive, sometimes downright sick and often very funny.
- They had already beaten up and name-called other boys from his school, and subjected girls to obscene sexual innuendo.
pornographic, indecent, smutty, salacious, dirty, filthy, X-rated, explicit, lewd, rude, vulgar, coarse, crude, offensive, immoral, improper, impure, off-color, degenerate, depraved, debauched;
informal blue, porn, porno, skin
1.1Offensive to moral principles; repugnant: using animals' skins for fur coats is obscene
More example sentences
- If only she could express it without employing obscene moral parallels.
- The obscene inequalities of wealth dividing rich and poor nations must be reduced.
- The principal explanation lies in the obscene moral inversion of victim culture.
- Example sentences
- New Zealand, I hope you'll rise to the challenge and set an example for other obscenely beautiful countries to follow.
- Although slavery is now illegal, in some countries workers on coffee farms are paid obscenely low wages to work in the hot sun handpicking the cherries.
- Lots of footballers go, and some of the rooms are palatial, but others are teeny-weeny; I think it's obscenely overpriced for what it is.
Words that rhyme with obsceneAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.