Definition of observatory in English:
noun (plural observatories)
1A room or building housing an astronomical telescope or other scientific equipment for the study of natural phenomena.
- Then it instantaneously e-mails the news to astronomers, observatories and automated telescopes around the world.
- These space and Moon-based astronomical observatories will be the successors to the Hubble Space Telescope, which has been used to discover planets in distant solar systems.
- He now had more time than before to devote to his study of astronomy, having an observatory in the rooms in which he lived in one of the towers in the town's fortifications.
1.1A position or building that gives an extensive view.
- From the observatory you can view Mt. Fuji and Tokyo Bay.
- The designs for the carvings at the top of the building based their design on an ancient Greek observatory built for Andronicus.
- The Arc also features an observatory to take in surrounding views.
Words that rhyme with observatoryconservatory
Definition of observatory in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.