- 1A person who watches or notices something: to a casual observer, he was at peaceMore example sentences
- For instance, on the island site of the ‘Three Pools Mirroring the Moon’ even a casual observer may notice something slightly odd about some of the trees.
- A casual observer might have noticed they were all drinking pints of Caledonian 80 Shilling, but they were not only there to enjoy the local ale.
- These are the kind of clues that might escape the notice of the casual observer.
- 1.1A person who follows events, especially political ones, closely and comments publicly on them: some observers expect interest rates to riseMore example sentences
commentator, reporter; monitor
- But analysts and observers who followed the six-week trial of the men say the proceedings failed to shed light on the claimed plot and that little hard evidence was introduced in court.
- We expected observers to use the public information available to them and thus prefer the ‘rich’ patch.
- No one has represented the divided self better-the analyst, the observer, the commentator who serves as witness of the one who has come through.
- 1.2A person posted to an area in an official capacity to monitor political or military events: elections scrutinized by international observersMore example sentences
- Musa is Amnesty International's official observer of the Military Commission trials at the bay.
- Not only that, the IRA has already put some of its weapons beyond use as overseen by official international observers.
- Also, it is reported today that for the first time the government has asked international observers to monitor the last week of the election campaign.
- 1.3A person who attends a conference, inquiry, etc., to note the proceedings without participating in them.More example sentences
- Mr and Mrs Taylor have also discovered that they are too late to object to the plan and can now only attend the inquiry as observers.
- In addition to the mediators, 19 figures representing numerous groups who attended the meeting as observers, also witnessed the signing of the peace deal.
- His present partner attends but is an observer not a participant.