Definition of obsessive–compulsive in English:
Denoting or relating to a disorder in which a person feels compelled to perform certain meaningless actions repeatedly in order to alleviate obsessive fears or intrusive thoughts, typically resulting in severe disruption of daily life.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common mental health condition that affects 2% of the population.
- For people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, obsession creates a maze of persistent, unwanted thoughts.
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder most often occurs in men.
nounBack to top
A person characterized by obsessive-compulsive behavior.
- College students recalled ten specific events (e.g., giving a public performance) to test the hypothesis that obsessive-compulsives more often take the observing-self perspective in autobiographical memories.
- It may also lessen the anxiety of many obsessive-compulsives who are afraid to undergo behavior therapy, thus allowing them to participate in the intensive psychological treatment.
- Evidence suggests the first treatment for obsessive-compulsives should be behavior therapy.
Definition of obsessive–compulsive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia