Definition of obstinate in English:
1Stubbornly refusing to change one’s opinion or chosen course of action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so.
- You can have really strong, obstinate opinions, so long as your facts are true, you're OK.
- Thanks to the Prime Minister, s remarks, many people think that both farmers and the county council are being obstinate in refusing to reopen footpaths and bridle ways.
- Being the obstinate set of girls they were, the debate would carry on until one of them had decided it best to just kill the subject.
stubborn, unyielding, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, obdurate, mulish, bullheaded, stubborn as a mule, pigheaded, self-willed, strong-willed, headstrong, willful, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, refractory, uncooperative, unmanageable, stiff-necked, rigid, uncompromising, implacable, unrelenting, immovable, unshakable;
1.1(Of an unwelcome phenomenon or situation) very difficult to change or overcome: the obstinate problem of unemployment
More example sentences
- Meanwhile, I simply dozed off, and dreamt of being chased by a group of spear-throwing Alpine warriors, presumably because of a particularly obstinate piece of grass that was sticking into my left thigh.
- The movie is a study in intolerance, though less the big, genocidal brand than the petty, obstinate kind that occurs in situations where a man sets himself apart from his community.
- Those inept, self-important idiots ran that place into the ground, creating unnecessary crises through decades of obstinate mismanagement.
- Example sentences
- With a second blow Becket, still obstinately upright, said: ‘Into thy hands, oh Lord, I commend my spirit.’
- For a number of years now a former professor obstinately corrects me each time I refer to the Internet as a ‘place.’
- Imagine him sticking to his guns and obstinately insisting that appeasement wasn't wrongheaded, there just wasn't enough of it.
Pronunciation: /ˈäbztənətlē/ /ˈäbstənətlē/adverb
Middle English: from Latin obstinatus, past participle of obstinare 'persist'.
Words that rhyme with obstinateagglutinate • designate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.