Definition of obturator in English:
1Either of two muscles covering the outer front part of the pelvis on each side and involved in movements of the thigh and hip.
- The surgeon uses a special hip arthroscopy cannula with cannulated obturators to establish the portals.
- These branches supply the pectineus, the hip joint, and, by rejoining the obturator, the adductor muscles.
- In one case the iliolumbar was a branch of the obturator, itself a branch of the internal iliac.
1.1 [as modifier] Relating to the obturator or to the obturator foramen.
- Metastatic prostatic and transitional cell carcinomas were present in a single obturator lymph node.
- No tumor was detected in the right and left obturator lymph nodes.
- The obturator artery is very variable in origin and no embryological explanation has been found.
early 18th century: from medieval Latin, literally 'obstructor', from obturare 'stop up'.
Definition of obturator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan