1A plane figure with eight straight sides and eight angles.
- You may know about a pentagon, a hexagon, or an octagon.
- You'll find that the interior angle of a regular octagon is 135 degrees.
- They considered a square, a rectangle, even an octagon.
1.1An object or building with a plan or cross section of this shape.
- The house is formed of four octagons and no rectangular shapes or flat walls.
- The octagon is formed by a kind of train-track motif that jogs around a flower-blossom design.
- Only a handful of gunsmiths have the ability to cut a tapered octagon barrel.
Late 16th century: via Latin from Greek octagōnos 'eight-angled'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of octagon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.