Definition of octahedron in English:
noun (plural octahedrons or octahedra-drə)
1A three-dimensional shape having eight plane faces, especially a regular solid figure with eight equal triangular faces.
- These are often known as the Platonic solids: the tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron.
- These five remarkable solids - tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, icosahedron - have faces that are congruent equilateral polygons.
- Plato believed that atoms have the shapes of regular polyhedra: cubes, tetrahedrons, octahedrons, and so on.
1.1A body, especially a crystal, in the form of a regular octahedron.
- Earth was a cube, air an octahedron, fire a tetrahedron and water an icosahedron.
- The fluorite tends to occur only as cubes modified by the dodecahedron, with simple cubes or octahedra uncommon or absent.
- Water was an icosahedron, and air had to be an octahedron.
Late 16th century: from Greek oktaedron, neuter (used as a noun) of oktaedros 'eight-faced'.
- Example sentences
- It's octahedral in shape with a high, vaulted ceiling and sunlight streaming through hidden windows.
- The outer portion of the garnets is altered to clinochlore, and small octahedral crystals of magnetite and martite occur in the schist.
- In 1990 bright emerald-green, transparent, octahedral fluorite crystals were discovered in the Kettle mine by mine surveyor Michelle Scott.
Words that rhyme with octahedrondecahedron, dodecahedron, polyhedron, tetrahedron
Definition of octahedron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan