Definition of octane in English:
A colorless flammable hydrocarbon of the alkane series, obtained in petroleum refining.
- Chemical formula: C8H18; many isomers, especially the straight-chain isomer (n-octane) . See also isooctane
- Carbon in its most reduced form is found in alkanes, which are typically fuels like methane, propane, and octane.
- Instead, new engines have been designed to run on lower octane gasoline, which is made of hydrocarbons that are resistant to knock.
- Four different solvent media were considered: octane, tetrahydrofuran, acetonitrile, and water.
Definition of octane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan