- An ophthalmologist or optometrist: he visited an oculist in Chicago, who prescribed a pair of reading glassesMore example sentences
- An optometrist, ophthalmologist or oculist can make sure contact wearers have the right lenses and take care of them properly.
- He was not a particularly good dog - he once bit the oculist who dared to lean over me and touch my face to adjust a new pair of glasses.
- Contrary to the advice of concerned oculists, these moviegoers are prepared to wear special glasses for more than two hours to experience the movie in 3-D.
late 16th century: from French oculiste, from Latin oculus 'eye'.
More definitions of oculistDefinition of oculist in:
- The British & World English dictionary