Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of off spin in English:
noun[mass noun] Cricket
A type of spin bowling that causes the ball to deviate from the off side towards the leg side after pitching; off breaks: the skipper’s off-spin did the trick
More example sentences
- He hit the best six of the match in my opinion - an inside out shot over extra cover against the off spin of Muralitharan who we all know is a huge spinner of the ball.
- Batting in the top four this year, he is one of the Yorkshire team's top scorers and has chipped in with 11 wickets in five matches with his off spin.
- Thereafter, the innings had little permanency and wickets fell regularly to Broadbent's off spin.
- Example sentences
- Malik made a cultured 115 as an opener before claiming three wickets with his off-spinners.
- The off-spinner took six of Gloucestershire's second innings wickets in a brilliant spell of controlled, economical bowling.
- Heal is a 20-year-old right-arm off-spinner who is yet to make his first-class debut.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.